Talon Theatre is an educational theatre community within the Performing Arts Department at Santa Margarita Catholic High School. The program is rooted in the spirit of Caritas Christi and the philosophy of Theatre on Purpose which uses the performing arts as a way for students to discover who they are by nurturing their God-given talents and interests in a supportive, challenging and comprehensive training program in acting, musical theater, technical theater and design.
Talon Theatre alumni have gone on to some of the most prestigious college theater programs in the country and many have gone on to professional careers in theater, film and television. A veteran theater director and teacher with numerous awards, Santa Margarita's program is under the direction of Mrs. Amy Luskey-Barth.
NEW: VIRTUAL CABARET
ANNOUNCING THE 10th ANNUAL
TAPA CABARET 2020
A virtual cabaret performance aired on Vimeo on Friday, May 11th at 7:00PM
(link to performance distributed at a later time to everyone at no cost)
OPEN TO ALL TALON THEATRE STUDENTS!
Create your own one-person 10 minute cabaret act! Throughout history, artists have creatively transcended their circumstances through writing, art, music and song. This is a unique time in history and your story matters! Your cabaret is about your journey!
Some Theme Ideas:
- My Senior Year….
- 2020 Vision….
- Has COVID-19 impacted your life? How? Has it changed your perspective?
- Lessons you have learned ….
- What if…..
- Hopes, dreams, and goals for the future….
- A time you took a risk….
- Coming to terms with the truth….
- The journey…
- Guess What….
Cabaret is autobiographical storytelling through song. Sometimes referred to as a “STORY SHOW” cabaret is personal! You “tell” your story by singing 3 songs connected by brief monologues called “patter.” Your choice of song can be any genre from show tunes, standards, pop or jazz.
All participants will be guided through a process to create their act through individualized zoom coaching sessions!
You will record your finished act and upload it to FLIPGRID on the Cabaret 2020 TEAM. We will then post all videos together for a free Vimeo streaming performance on Friday May 11th at 7:00pm for all to watch and enjoy.
What you need:
- For veterans of TAPA Cabaret – the difference from past years – you will need to find performance tracks of your accompaniment. We will not be able to provide individualized arrangements.
- Record your completed act with your tablet
- Upload to FLIPGRID
How do I sign up?
Go to the Talon Theatre website and fill out the registration form. There is no fee for Cabaret!
What is the schedule?
- There will be a brief general information/Q & A session for all participants on Wednesday April 8th at 3:00pm! You will receive a Zoom invitation if you fill out the registration form!
- There will be a brainstorming inspiration session to help you get started on creating your act on Monday April 20th with individual coaching sessions starting April 21st. All can be suited to your schedule! Lot’s of flexibility.
- Learning Portal: There will be handouts and materials available on the Learning Portal under Cabaret 2020. Enrollment Key: cabaret2020
Online Registration Form (no fee to participate)
COVID-19 UPDATES FOR TALON THEATRE
Performing Arts Scholarship Opportunities
The Martinez Family Scholarship
The Martinez Family Talon Theatre Development Scholarship
Nicholas David Kraus Memorial Scholarship