The Santa Margarita Film Program, using five core principles, focuses on developing filmmakers with a strong skillset in all aspects of the moviemaking process, providing them with a professional, safe arena to explore their creativity and gain an appreciation of the power of communication across a global audience.
- Story: The ability to communicate story using effective and creative production techniques is at the center of all filmmaking.
- Technique: Mastering the technical skills of filmmaking will expand the ability of students to visually communicate their ideas.
- Moral Responsibility: Film is a powerful and influential art form, and filmmakers must maintain a strong moral responsibility, examining how their work will affect their audience.
- Collaboration: Film is a collaborative process and developing the ability to work in groups and solve problems is crucial to success.
- Diversity of Film: Appreciate film as global art form, by learning to reflect and analyze film from diverse cultures and contexts.