What is Model United Nations?
MUN stands for Model United Nations. Students travel to other schools throughout Orange County and California, the United States and overseas to compete in an academic competition.
The competition simulates sessions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council, and other United Nations organizations in which students represent the delegates of participating countries. Participation in a MUN program can be a valuable educational experience for the student, giving them the opportunity to combine academic study with firsthand experience. At the same time, it enhances an understanding of current world issues, methods and techniques of problem-solving, and the role of the UN in international affairs. The MUN program is integrated into the Social Studies curriculum for those students who are interested in this unique experience. Students must take Cultural Geography / Model United Nations their freshman year to be involved with the MUN program.
- Are you looking for challenging, yet rewarding courses to take at SMCHS?
- Do you enjoy researching, debating and public speaking?
- Do you enjoy meeting people from other schools, states and countries?
- Do you want to take a course that colleges are impressed by?
- Do you want the opportunity to develop your leadership skills and to be a student leader?
- Do you enjoy traveling to places such as: Boston, New York, London, Montreal, and China?
- Are you interested in International Affairs?
All sessions are held in the library at SMCHS. The cost of the session is $150 and lunch will be provided at each session at no extra charge. There is no dress code but students should be dressed modestly. All materials will be provided, students don't need to bring anything with them other than a pen or pencil. Students will meet at the front of the school on the first day and led to the library. For the second and third days students should report directly to the library.
Click here for more details on MUN.
We look forward at seeing you at MUN Boot Camp