The SMCHS song/pom is a program for athletes striving to promote school spirit, support interscholastic athletics, and represent their school in the competitive spirit industry.
In addition, they are also a competition dance team that competes in Pom and Jazz on the Regional and National level. Over the years, the SM Song team have won numerous awards and National titles. And, they are currently the defending NDA National Champions from their trip to Orlando, Florida. There is a JV and Varsity team, both comprised of highly motivated and talented girls that take pride in representing SM. They love the camaraderie the team atmosphere brings them and special moments they experience together.
Congratulations to our SM varsity song team for becoming NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Out of 87 teams in their division, they prevailed over the reigning champions Seton High School from Cincinnati, Ohio and St. Thomas More Catholic High School from Lafayette, LA. The UDA National Dance Team Championship is the most prestigious dance competition and Varsity brand in the world. During the 3-day national competition, dance teams from all 50 states competed with a total of 6,000 competitors. The competition began with prelim, and semi-final elimination rounds, and concluded with the final round, all taking place at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida. This is the first time in Santa Margarita Catholic High School history that our school has won this title at the event. The team will be featured on ESPN in March. Details to follow once the date/time is confirmed.To enjoy their routine, click here
Congratulations to SM students selected for the 2019-2020 SM Song Pom Teams!
Please view the Varsity and JV team pages for students selected.
INCOMING FRESHMAN AUDITION INFORMATION 2019-2020 SEASON:SM Song/Pom Audition Incoming Freshman Information: If you missed the Song/Pom audition as an incoming freshman, please contact Nicole Cestone at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and audition opportunities.
NICOLE CESTONE – Song Director/Head Coach
- Nicole has over 25 years of dance and competitive team experience. She is nationally known for her choreography and coaching ability. Nicole was a scholarship dancer at Jimmie Defores Dance Center in Costa Mesa, and a member of the Tremaine’s Dance Company in Los Angeles with Margarite Derricks.
- Graduate of UCLA and a former UCLA Bruin dance team member for 2 years.
- Former Dance/Song instructor for the United Spirit Association for 10 years, a member of USA’s Program Development Team and is a Head Judge for High School, Collegiate, and All-star Competitions.
- Songleading/Dance Program Director for two years where she managed 80 staff instructors, directed competitions and conventions, choreographed for camps, clinics, and workshops and created curriculum for all dance programs.
- Danced two seasons for the Disney California Angels performing at Anaheim Angels home baseball games.
- Production and choreography for the American Bowl in Mexico City with Ricky Martin, the Paris and Austria NFL Tours, the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, and numerous pre-game and half-time shows for NFL, NBA and College teams. Nicole has choreographed for numerous NFL, NBA, WNBA, CFL, and Arena Football Pro-dance teams including the San Diego Charger Girls, San Francisco 49er Gold Rush, Los Angeles Clippers, Sacramento Kings Fast Break, Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, and New England Patriots to name a few.
- Featured choreographer at the Pro-Dance Convention for NFL and NBA dance teams.
- Taught dance at many studios in Northern and Southern California and coached several nationally ranked college, high school and all-star dance teams and has been featured in many LA dance projects and national commercials.
- Over the past years of coaching, her teams have won numerous national titles and awards including Innovative Choreography, Superior Showmanship, Grand Champion, and Technical Excellence. In 2014 & 2016, she was named Coach of the Year at the California State Dance Championship. Nicole has also turned her attention to producing and directing corporate events for Fortune 500 companies and their affiliates including Disney, ABC, NFL, ESPN, GM, Toyota and many more.
- Nicole is the Dance Director in the West Region for Varsity Corporation – UDA, USA & NDA. She directs numerous camps and competitions within the US and trains hundreds of dancers each year. Nicole is currently moving into her 8th season as the Song/Pom Director at Santa Margarita Catholic High School. She lives in San Juan Capistrano with her husband and three kids.
DANIELLE CALTA– Varsity Coach
Danielle has over 15 years of experience coaching, teaching and choreographing dance. She started dancing at the age of 3 and has been professionally trained in various styles including ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, pom/song, theater, character, modern, pointe & lyrical. At the age of 13 she was chosen as a member of the Tremaine Dance Company and trained with world renowned choreographers in the dance/entertainment industry such as Marguerite Derricks, Michael Rooney, & Keith Young. She had the opportunity to dance for various live events, videos, TV, and films, such as Austin Powers, The International Man of Mystery, WB Dubba Commercial, Miss Christy’s Dancin’ Videos, & The Royal Danish Ballet. Danielle also has experience working behind the scenes in the dance/entertainment industry. Danielle worked for MSA Agency, one of the top dance/choreography talent agencies in Hollywood. Their clients work can be seen everywhere, film, TV, stage, you name it! Some of the projects she worked on included, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With the Stars, the High School Musical franchise, Michael Jackson's This Is It, just to name a few! She also worked for The Movement, Dance Management Company with Dance Agent/Manager Jim Keith. Danielle is a graduate from UC Irvine and was the captain of their dance team for 3 years. She was a member of the United Spirit Association where she served as a Head Instructor and a member of their Program Development staff. She currently judges for various event producers when she is not with her teams competing. Danielle has coached and choreographed for numerous dance and Songleading teams throughout the United States including high school, college, semi-pro, and pro teams, including the 49er Gold Rush Cheerleaders, San Diego Charger Girls, & OC Gladiators. During the past 15 years of coaching, her teams have won numerous national titles and awards including Innovative Choreography, Technical Excellence, Superior Showmanship, Best in Category, Grand Champions, & the Bronze Medal at USASF’s Dance Worlds. In 2013, Danielle was named CheerPros “Dance Coach of the Year”! She loves sharing her passion for dance and her competitive spirit to motivate and push her dancers to be the best they can be. Danielle takes pride in her dancers and dedicates herself fully by investing in each of her dancers’ growth and development. Danielle recently finished a credential program through Institute of Integrative Nutrition and founded DC Consulting, to help coach and consult individuals in their dance, health, and/or lifestyle needs. This is Danielle's 6th season coaching at SMCHS!
Katie Murphy - Consultant
Katie is a Pep Squad Alumnus of Santa Margarita Catholic High School. Katie has over 15 years of dance training and experience in jazz, pom, ballet, contemporary, lyrical, and hip hop. She has been coaching and teaching for six years throughout the all-star and high school communities. Katie has assisted in choreographing routines around the country and continue to coach nationally ranked teams. She is an undergraduate student pursuing a career in the art world and currently attending the University of California, Fullerton, working towards her BFA in Graphic Design. She is also an experienced painter, drawer, photographer, and multi-media designer. Katie served a graphic design internship with St. Johns Knits learning the way of professional design.She enjoyed learning more about the design world and fashion industry. Along with her passion for art is one of athleticism. Katie is an avid runner and health enthusiast. She is entering into her 6th Season with the JV Song team. We are so pleased to have Katie on board!